[owl-users] Re: Owl 2.0

From: Andreas Ericsson (ae@private)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 08:41:57 PST

Hi Denzel. I'm moving this to owl-users@private, where others
can benefit from it as well. Instructions on how to sign up there can be
found att http://www.openwall.com/Owl

Denzel Turner wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
>    Linux/*nix Newbie here. Is Owl 2.0 a good Linux to learn on?

Yes and no.

It's good in that it excludes a lot of clutter. Only a stripped down
system containing an immensely stable base platform, meaning you have
less to learn to master it fully. Some say that's a bad thing since
there's less to choose from. I've been working with various unices for
the past 17 years and I disagree with that.

Owl is also intended as a server OS. As such, we haven't bothered with
the X window system, meaning you won't have a nice gui where you can
point your mouse on things and click to make lots of things happen. If
you want to learn the unix basics that's undoubtedly a Good Thing (tm),
since you'll get closer to the core and thus learn how things actually work.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that it doesn't come with
automated updates (we're working on it though, so stay tuned everybody)
and that the number of pre-packaged audited software falls somewhat
short of complete for a really complete distribution.

I've addressed that last issue with the Owl addons project though, which
contains unaudited but packaged software for use with a recent version
of Owl (2.0, currently). The reason they're as yet unaudited is that
code audits take time when done properly. Lots and lots of time. The
addons project means extended usability faster, but with the decrease in
security that unaudited code brings. I've tried hard to make safe and
sane defaults though, and some things in Owl makes it safer to run those
addon packages on Owl than an equivalent build on non-Owl.

> I am not very good at the Command Line
> Interface yet. Is Owl 2.0 for experienced Code Warriors or can common
> mortals use the Owl?

Anyone can use Owl. Preferrably by purchasing a CD with shipping
worldwide at the Openwall website. :)

Experienced code warriors will find its lack of clutter refreshing.
Paranoid administrators will find its security measures reassuring.
Common mortals will find the stability invigorating.

> Is Owl 2.0 like Gentoo but with OpenBSD-like code review and Security?

Something like it, I suppose, but without the X system and some other
user-friendliness things.

> read the entire presentation pages and do not know all of the terms yet. No
> hurry on answering me as I know you folks are probably really busy.

Many others have helped educate me through the years. I would repay them
poorly if I did not take time to answer such an enthusiastic person.

> I am not
> sure where to start with Open Source OS's and Software. I want to eventually
> be able to do Martial Arts digital videos in a *nix OS with Open Source
> Software only!!!!

If that's your ultimate goal then perhaps Fedora Core or Debian is
better suited for you. We aim for binary compatibility with a current
Fedora Core release, so you should be able to install Fedora packages on
top of Owl, giving (hopefully) the best of two worlds. I doubt Owl will
ever package video editing tools, as our goal is to make an impenetrable
operating system for use on servers.

> Thanks in advance for any recommendations on Books or
> study Guides you can give me.

Google is your friend. There are so many sites holding documentation
suitable for Linux newcomers that I wouldn't even know where to start.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@private