Re: [owl-users] SATA controller

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 00:20:44 PST

Galaxy, Vlad -

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:40:19AM +0300, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> 2. unpack the kernel sources into the created directory:
>    # cd /tmp/kernel
>    # tar xjf /usr/src/kernel/linux-2.4.<n>.tar.bz2
>
> 3. configure kernel:
>    # cp /boot/config* /tmp/kernel/.config
>    (unfortunately, I don't remember how the config is named on the CD,
>     so you need to look it up in /boot first, but I think you wont
>     miss it :) )

It's /boot/.config

However, you've forgotten one important step - the patches found under
/usr/src/kernel/ need to be applied prior to "make oldconfig".

Then, if the required driver is indeed in the mainstream kernel by now,
the appropriate option in "make menuconfig" should be set to "M" (module),
then the module should be built with "make modules" and loaded with
"insmod" right out of the kernel build tree.  "make modules_install" must
not be used - it won't work when running off the CD (well, there is a
way to make it work - but there's no need for that).

P.S. On a real (installed) system, /tmp must not be abused like that -
doing so would be risky.  But it is OK on a CD-booted system in single
user mode.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar