Re: [owl-users] updated contrib package

From: GalaxyMaster (galaxy@private)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 20:22:04 PST

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 06:53:04AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:

> Are you proposing that we place your updated Asterisk and PostgreSQL
> packages in contrib right away?  I notice that the Asterisk package is
> named appropriately (Release: owl_add1),

I was granted the permission to replace the Asterisk package.
Therefore, I used the proper Release tag.  So yes, please place Asterisk
to the contrib directory.

> but the PostgreSQL one is not.

This package (as well as other 10-20 packages which are to be announced
soon) is maintained by me for my projects. It has a quite complicated
spec file and I don't want to spend more time on "cleaning" the spec
files to be compatible with the Owl convention for the spec files.
Actually, my packages are compatible with the convention except the
following:

1. they are heavily using the '--with ' and '--without' rpmbuild options
   (these are implemented through libpopt and are supported by our RPM).

2. %buildroot and other macros are quoted in the commands.

3. a typical SRPM produce a lot of small sub-packages (to be able to
   install only those parts which are needed).

Moreover, the PostgreSQL is in alpha stage now, I'm still applying
changes to the spec file and am producing some patches.  I also need to
do more testing for different build options.  Currently I have checked
the static, minimal, and standard builds.

That is said, I want to share my work but I'm not sure that an
additional step for placing my packages into the contrib directory is
justified.

--
(GM)