Re: [owl-users] Perl modules needed by SpamAssassin

From: Solar Designer (solar@private)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 11:15:46 PST

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 07:58:18AM +0100, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> ftp://guest:guest@private/pub/Owl/contrib/RPMS/
>
> YAOR - Yet Another Owl Repository!?!
> Doesn't really make sense ... so I will disconnect this server sooner or
> later. Usefull packages should be contributed on the offical Owl
> mirrors.

Yes - please do contribute these!

I just had a look at some of the spec files in your SRPMs.  You don't
follow our conventions (as documented in Owl/doc/CONVENTIONS in our
native tree), but the conventions are not enforced for our contrib/
directory anyway.  I will gladly accept these packages for contrib/ if
you do the following:

1. Change the Release strings to owl_add1 (and so on for further
revisions).

Your use of your personal Release strings was just appropriate so far
(thank you!), but we want some uniformity for contributions that
actually get accepted.

2. Rebuild the packages on Owl 2.0-stable (or on the 2.0 release).  You
can simply installworld 2.0-stable into a subdirectory and chroot in
there for the builds.

Right now, some (or all?) of the packages are built on various current
snapshots.  We may/will proceed to break binary/package compatibility in
-current, so such pre-built packages may become unusable sooner than
those built for 2.0.  Also, people are using 2.0-stable on most
production servers, right? ;-)  (I know that many are using -current.)

You could also want to obfuscate your e-mail address in the changelogs,
like we do in our spec files - but this is up to you.  Also, are you
aware of the "-delete" option to "find"?  We've been supporting it on
Owl since the very beginning, and it is now in official GNU findutils.

Thank you!

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15