Re: [owl-users] Owl-based desktop environment

From: Grigoriy Strokin (grg@private)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 03:01:29 PDT

Julian,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I think others will find it
interesting, too!

> One half-solution is to copy over a few needed programmes from the
> full system (Debian in my case), to an OWL computer (desktop, not
> server), the X server executable for example, then run it. When it
> complains about missing libraries copy them over -- and so on until an
> X server actually works (you need a few fonts, too). Then X -query
> desktop, and you have the full desktop on your OWL screen without its
> taking up space and resources on the OWL computer. It takes about half
> an hour to get this going. In effect, the Debian computer is also a
> server, serving only X far behind the OWL server/firewall. This way,
> you need three computers of course: Owl server/firewall, X server, and
> desktop running OWL plus a basic X. Moving files between systems is
> then a necessity, and a bit of a nuisance: but with cron, ssh, scp, a
> script or two, and above all cvs, I have no problems (almost all my
> work is with text files, Latex and such-like). One more thing: on the
> desktop (X server) running Debian, I have found KDE faster across a
> network than Gnome, but I usually use twm, very fast, very clever,
> nice and minimal.

In my situation, I'm building a standalone system which must be
independent and mobile, so I'll have to install "full" X Window.  And
now I have several choices as to how to do it provided by the owl-users
-- thanks to you all!

--
Grigoriy.