Re: [owl-users] boot from usb flash

From: gremlin@private
Date: Sat Apr 21 2007 - 14:36:40 PDT

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 12:39:09AM +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:

 > > Anyone has any experience with booting Owl from a usb flash?
 > Yep, I have. What is your question exactly? Indeed you need a
 > custom kernel to be able to boot from the USB since the included
 > kernel doesn't support USB at all.

As we're already using 2.88 Mb ElTorito "floppies", we can build
default kernel (cdrom/boot/bzImage) with much more modules for
storage support compiled in. My experience suggests that having
support for generic IDE/ATAPI, all 3 sorts of USB hosts, nearly
all SATA and most popular SCSI host adapters should be included
into the kernel, and support for all other devices can be kept in
cdrom/lib/modules/* (yes, it will require kernel rebuild during
installation process, but that's trivial).

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ðòé gremlin ôþë ru>