[owl-users] new Owl ISOs, OpenVZ container templates

From: Solar Designer <solar_at_private>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:54:00 +0300
Hi,

Fresh ISO images and pre-created OpenVZ container templates of
Owl-current for x86 and x86-64 (generated a few hours ago) are available
on our FTP mirrors (maybe not on all yet, but should be by tomorrow).
There are also direct download links for the ISOs on the Owl homepage:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

Yes, we're now generating not only ISOs, but also OpenVZ container
templates of the Owl userland.  These may be used on Owl and/or on other
Linux systems with OpenVZ.  The templates are found under
/pub/Owl/current/vztemplate on our FTP mirrors.  The size of an Owl
template file is around 120 MB, and a container instantiated from it
occupies around 400 MB of disk space.  This compares favorably with
pre-created templates of other Linux distros found on openvz.org
considering that our template is actually an almost-complete install of
the Owl userland, including all development tools and libraries, so it
is capable of (re)building our and third-party packages from source.

The "make vztemplate" target has been added to the Owl build
environment, making it easy for us and for Owl users to generate new
OpenVZ container templates of the Owl userland.

The 32-bit x86 userland is now being built for "i686" (Pentium Pro and
above) by default.  With the previous ISO snapshot for 32-bit x86, we
made this move for the kernel.  Now we also made it for the userland.

The packages of JtR, Nmap, and pciutils have been updated to new
versions (yes, this means Nmap 5.21, which was released yesterday),
libtool and gzip had minor security vulnerabilities fixed, and changes
have been made to several other packages.  Please refer to the
Owl-current change log for more information on some of the changes:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-current.shtml

Enjoy, and please provide your feedback.

Alexander