Re: [owl-users] Owl-current on Amazon EC2

From: GalaxyMaster <galaxy_at_private>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:22:35 +0400
Hello,

This is a small follow-up on my Amazon EC2 images.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 08:49:41PM +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> I believe it's possible to simply upgrade an instance created from the
> announced AMI to Owl-current, then build a kernel with Xen support.  The
> image supports custom kernel images (simply edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to
> add another kernel image -- and to play safe set a fallback to the
> currently used kernel image).

So, I just did it: I've upgraded the Owl 3-stable VM to Owl-current,
then built the 3.1.6 vanilla kernel with Xen support.

The new 32-bit AMI is available in the Asia Pacific region under the
'ami-b288cde0' AMI ID.  This AMI is based on Owl-current as it was on
December 26th, but it's easy to update it via the standard 'make
installworld' (or 'rpm -Fvh', if you prefer it).

The included kernel was specifically configured for EC2's Xen.  The
kernel configuration file can be located in /boot/ .  Also, the image
was slightly optimised to get better performance from the EC2 hypervisor
per Amazon's recommendations (e.g. by using tickless kernel with the
spinlock=tickless boot parameter passed to the kernel at the boot time).

Another enhancement is that I've pre-created /boot/grub/default, so from
now on 'default saved', 'savedefault 0', etc. work inside
/boot/grub/menu.lst allowing one to configure fallback kernels.

--
(GM)