[owl-users] Re: getting involved in Owl (was: linux-distros list setup update)

From: Henri Salo <henri_at_private>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:14:17 +0200
On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:33:17AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> There is Owl/doc/TODO in our CVS tree.  It has some high-level tasks;
> a few of these have already been completed (need to update this file).
>
> Do you currently have Owl installed somewhere?  Do you have any
> "complaints" about it - things you didn't like or felt needed
> improvement?  If so, we could look for overlap of these with our
> actually planned tasks.

I do have Owl installed in a testing-network in home, which I use to investigate malware and random new products/softwares. That Owl works as SSH-gateway and the network is pretty closed up. No connections to Internet. Other Owl installation is OpenVZ-instance in durian.nerv.fi running ircd for finnish IRC-network called Nerv (feel free to Nmap if you like).

UTF-8 did definately need improvements. It should be on by default or at least a pretty good guide how to use it in various software. I have no idea how I could help you with that as I still aren't very good with pkgsrc, but I could help to get apt to Owl. TODO-list says: "Support a package repository, possibly with Zypper, yum, or apt (package one of these - and its prerequisites)." does this mean that the apt should be in default-installation or optional installation from some other resource and if latter from where?

I am not a Debian Developer, but I have used Debian for over eight years now so I think that should be my number one focus now in Owl if that is still what Owl needs. Deb-packages could be installed to some location outside of normal PATH using the same ideology as in with pkgsrc.

- Henri Salo