Re: [owl-users] Upgrading to current gives dependency problem after kernel upgrade and boot

From: <cpb_at_private>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 02:35:57 -1000
On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 02:42:12PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 11:26:52PM -1000, cpb_at_private wrote:
> > You can't generally upgrade from one branch of Owl to another in-place with
> > installworld.
>
> Why, as long as you're not trying to jump over an Owl release, this is
> supposed to work.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant to say, "to another in-place with buildworld".
I concluded that Zenny had used buildworld to get into his situation, though
I don't think that anymore (a separate mistake).

Thanks for asking why I made my assertion instead of just saying it was wrong.
That's what I like about this list. The reason I assert that buildworld
(followed by installworld, of course) will not always take you from -stable to
-current is that I recently tried it (building mpfr, mpc, and friends first)
but ended up in a very strange place with rpm dependency errors similar to
Zenny's. That's why I have been so chatty on the list lately - "false authority
syndrome." :)

Chris Bopp
Honolulu, Hawaii