Re: [owl-users] Owl2 VirtualBox Guest additions

From: David Parrish <daveparrish_at_private>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 00:39:07 -0500
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Solar Designer <solar_at_private> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 01:00:26PM -0500, David Parrish wrote:
> > I'm having some trouble getting VirtualBox Guest Additions installed on an
> > Owl2 VM.
>
> What is the reason why you want these installed?

The guest additions is what allows vagrant to do it's "magic",
essentially making working with a VM much easier such as sharing
folders, forwarding ports, etc.

> > modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.32-ow1/modules.dep
> > (No such file or directory)
>
> Yeah, Owl 2 used Linux 2.4.x kernels.  Note that even though WebEnabled
> uses Owl 2 based Linux userlands (with other software added on top of
> those), it uses them along with RHEL5'ish OpenVZ kernels from Owl 3.

I might have an old VM.  It sure looked like my VM was Owl 2, but I
could have been mistaken.

> > Are there any suggestions for installing the Guest Additions on Owl2?
>
> Don't do it?

Haha!  I think that might be the best advice.  I'm going to ask
Webenabled if they can setup a Ubuntu VM for me.  Vagrant compatible
with Ubuntu and I a more familiar with it.  Otherwise, I think I'll
settle for a CentOS development environment and call it close enough.