Re: [PEN-TEST] wireless LAN traffic sniffing

From: Rijndal Groeber (sekureat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 16:07:02 PDT

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Frank Knobbe wrote:

    > as far as I know, there are only two wireless network cards that
    > support promiscuous mode. One of them if the Cisco 340 (formerly an
    > Aironet product). If these cards are switched into promiscuous mode
    > by something like tcpdump, it takes usually a reset/restart of the
    > NIC or laptop to be able to send again (in normal mode). There are
    > some wireless sniffing products that will handle it correctly and
    > switch back without much ado. AiroPeek from WildPackets and the
    > Sniffer Wireless from NAI are two of them.
    I currently own a 3com 3crwe737a pcmcia card.
    True, the windows drivers which come with it appear to ignore promiscous
    mode, but the linux driver (for Symbol Spectrum 24t - which is identical)
    has no problem with it.
    By promiscous, as I was able to test it, I understand the ability to sniff
    pachets directed to other nodes of the wireless network... I was never
    able to capture ANY traffic before I got associated to an AP.
    If you mean something else, _please_ tell me.

    -- sekure at crosswinds.net
    [send message with 'send pgp key' somewhere ]
    [in the subject to receive my PGP public key]