Re: [PEN-TEST] wireless LAN traffic sniffing

From: Magnus Bodin (magnusat_private)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 05:54:09 PDT

    On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 09:26:14PM -0500, Jacob Ansari wrote:
    >      Hi everyone,
    >
    >      Maybe I'm really missing something, but I can't seem to get my 3com
    > AirConnect wlan pcmcia card to operate in promiscuous mode.  This is on w2k
    > pro and winnt4 (sp6a).  Couldn't get the Linksys WPC11 card to work in
    > promiscuous mode either.  Still trying to get either card to behave in
    > openbsd, so no definitive answer on that either (clues in this area would
    > be appreciated as well; mail me off-list...).  In all cases, I'm trying to
    > connect to a 3com access point box which connects back to my LAN.  Any
    > ideas would be appreciated.

    Both the 'an' (AiroNet/ e.g. Cisco 340) and the 'wi' (WaveLan/Lucent/new
    compaq) driver in OpenBSD

    This feature makes it possible to support stand alone operation without AP.

    As the man pages AN(4) and WI(4)  says: "In this mode, stations can
    communicate among each other without the aid of an access point."

    /magnus

    --
    ::::...               Magnus Bodin
    :::::::...               http://x42.com/