RE: Pen testing a off-site web server

From: Graham, Randy (RAW) (RAWat_private)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 08:28:39 PDT

    First thing you should do is check your contract with the hosting company.
    Many hosts now expressly forbid such tests, or at the very least require you
    to notify them in advance.  Furthermore, even though the host you are
    testing is yours in a ethereal sense, the physical equipment belongs to the
    hosting company and any testing you do can legitimately be construed as an
    attack.  That puts you in a big old boiling pot of hot water if you don't
    have permission in advance.  I've never been involved in such a test so I
    don't actually know what will happen if you do it, but I would strongly
    recommend you not initiate the pen-test without permission from the hosting
    company (and get permission in writing from a person or two or three very
    high up in the hosting organization).

    Standard legal disclaimer - I am not a lawyer and the above is only my best
    guess thinking on the situation.

    Randy Graham
    --
    You're kind of trying to pick between "horible disaster" and "attrocious
    disaster"  -- Paul D. Robertson (on VNC vs. PPTP)