RE: PIX and ttl

From: Jason Lewis (jlewisat_private)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 17:14:07 PDT

    I should have made myself clear.  I have scanned my PIX.  I know the hosts
    that are behind it and I have never been able to identify the hosts with
    NMAP.

    I am running load balanced web servers behind a PIX.  I have never been able
    to identify the server OS with NMAP.  Is there a secret?  I am aware of
    doing banner checks.  The scenario would be someone doing automated scans
    for Linux and using NMAP to put known Linux hosts into a file.

    Jason Lewis
    http://www.packetnexus.com
    http://www.packetnexus.com/kb/greyarts/
    It's not secure "Because they told me it was secure". The people at the
    other end of the link know less about security than you do. And that's
    scary.