RE: too many open udp ports

From: Yonatan Bokovza (Yonatanat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 01:08:14 PDT

    I can't say I understood your exact network configuration,
    but I remember seeing what you see.
    The state of a UDP port is determined as such:
    send a packet to the port. If you get back
    ICMP_UDP_PORT_UNREACHABLE for that packet,
    you can safely assume that port is closed. If not, consider
    that port open. Sharp reasoning will lead you to conclude
    that if a machine is firewalled or offline (i.e.- not answering
    or not recieving your packets) it will look as if all the
    UDP ports tested are open.
    I'd refer you to nmap's man page, where you can learn more
    about other types of scans:
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=nmap&manpath=FreeBSD+Ports

    Regards,
    Yonatan Bokovza.