Administrivia: Bad moderation & EZMLM

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 09:32:04 PDT

    Hey folks,

    I thought I would take a second and drop you all a line and cover a few
    administrative points.

    1. Bad moderation

    Shortly before our LISTSERV keeled over and died SecurityFocus took it's
    first round of VC funding. As a result I have been a little preoccupied
    doing what I get paid for and the list(s) has suffered. Add to this our
    transition to EZMLM and it's somewhat byzantine command set (and me not
    bothering to read the manual yet) has led overall to some pretty terrible
    media list administration. Mea Culpa, I am working on addressing this.

    2. Conversation (on Incidents) about virus material.

    In short, this is not going to continue, unless the virus payload is a
    classic trojan or requires Incident Handling outside of AV damage control.
    There is a list here, Focus-Virus which deals with this type of traffic.

    3. Posting source code for trojans.

    Some of our users have complained about other users running them through
    the ringer for posting worm source code and exploits to the Incidents
    list. I am not going to spend a great deal of time on this issue, but let
    me be clear on this:

     The lists I run and SecurityFocus in general support Full Disclosure as a
    principle where both network worms, security tools and security
    vulnerabilities are concerned. You should expect to see this type of
    traffic on our lists, in particular on the Incidents list where we deal
    with automated worms on a regular basis. I will *not* limit the disclosure
    on this list, I do not believe in old boys clubs or exclusive 'researcher'
    cabals. One playing field, and a level one. Now having said this, if you
    post source for material which people whom are not in the full disclosure
    camp might find objectionable you'd best develop a thick skin. People tend
    to get pretty religious on this issue.

    4. Thanks a bunch.

    Thanks again to all of you who post to the lists. I do not get to follow
    up with you often enough but I do deeply appreciate you helping build
    community here.

    Cheers,
    -al

    VP Engineering