RE: identifying

From: Clarke, Paul [IT] (paul.clarkeat_private)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 09:29:16 PDT

    Checkpoint behaviour will depend on the version that you're running, pre
    v4.1 SP2, FW-1 would allow your ACK through to the destination host
    irrespective of the time since the initial SYN was sent, as long as there is
    a rule explicitly permitting your source -> destination TCP connection. In
    this instance, any RST that you may happen to receive would come from the
    real destination server.

    Current service pack patched FW-1's wouldn't generaly send a RST even if you
    waited for more than 60 seconds after sending the SYN, it'd just drop the
    ACK packet and take no action (this depends upon the policy that's installed
    of course).

    I presume that a PIX would behave in a similar fashion, although I don't
    know much about them.

    For a proxy-based firewall like Gauntlet I would presume that the firewall
    would exhibit the TCP behaviour of the OS that it runs on, and that you'd
    get different responses for Gauntlet on different OSes. Does this sound
    feasible to others?

    Rgds,
    Paul