Re: Penetration test report - your comments please?

From: Brian Nottle (bnottleat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 14:44:54 PDT

    From the responses I was apparently not clear about
    my main message - "Do not assume unnecessary risk"

    I agree with many of the opinions that you want to include, because they
    reduce your risk and inform your clients. To be specific:

    FIRST NOTE: My (non-expert) understanding of this area of the law is that a
    person who lets it appear that they are competent in a professional matter
    are legally liable if they do not perform to the level of an Expert. So, be
    informed I have NO claim to competence in the Law.

    - Any way, I think that to state your opinion that a system is likely secure
    after doing testing that all involved agree was limited, is definitely
    assuming unnecessary risk. Why? Because you can be sued for "misleading" the
    client, if a later hacking attempt succeeds.

    - Advising that testing was limited and that undetected weaknesses may
    remain, although partly opinion, is NOT assuming any risk. On the contrary
    it is a comparatively weak, but very useful, form of disclaimer that shows
    the limits of the work done. Say it every time it is true. (A real
    disclaimer essentially says the you cannot be held liable for anything, not
    even if the work you did was useless or misleading. Unpleasant but true,
    look at any software User Agreement)

    - Ultimately the choice is a personal one. Until there are law suites in
    this area, I will just sound paranoid. If and when they occur (I think it is
    a matter of time), the degree of caution required will depend on the
    judgments made. Examples that a scary are the small aircraft industry (90%
    of new plane cost is for liability insurance), consumer product design
    engineers, all medical doctors.