Re: How to go about looking for a pen-tester

From: R. DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 21:20:47 PDT

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

    > hellNbak wrote:

    	[SNIP]

    > Sure, but references are not always possible. Many penetration tests
    > will be covered by non-disclosure agreements. Companies are risk-averse,
    > as they should be, and this particular area is seen as one that does not
    > lend itself to the next big marketing campaign. I can see it now:
    > "BigCompany announces successful penetration testing by Ernst and Young.
    > Only five compromised machines this time!"

    I do not think "references" has to be taken in this context.  A company
    can affirm that their dealings with another without divulging too much
    secured information in the process.  Just becuase I acknoledge I hired a
    firm to test my systems does not have to in anyway imply weakness was
    discovered.  So, references should be possible for anything but a startup
    firm and then even in that case, references of partners or cuonsultants
    prior work experience in the field might well and should be able to be
    presented, yes?

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne
    --
            admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart

    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!