Re: Win2k Permissions bug

From: Frank Heyne (fhat_private-dresden.de)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 11:41:49 PDT

    On 8 Jun 2001, at 23:06, Parth Galen wrote:

    > The problem seems to manifest itself when using applications that create temp
    > files.  As many current software packages do create temp files the network
    > security implications are obvious.

    MS Office never was aware of NT permissions, it always assumed you run
    itself on Win9x. This is why you could not harden a NT machine according to
    MS recommendations and have a fully working installation of MS Office on it
    at the same time.

    To solve your problem, I see 2 ways:

    1. Ask the vendors of application software for fixes for their broken software.
    The problem you report is NOT a problem of W2K, it is a problem of the
    application software! The software creates a new file, deletes the original file,
    and renames the new file to the old one. It should, of course, attach the old
    permissions to the new file. I don't see a way how the os should solve this
    application bug.

    2. Put files with different permissions into different folders. This way is
    probably faster ;-)

    Frank Heyne