Re: Identifying Machines

From: Blake Frantz (blakeat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 19:43:49 PDT

    Hello,

    Provided the target machine is generating *some* type of traffic
    and you have the ability to sniff, passive OS fingerprinting would provide
    some information about the host.  If my memory serves me, Nelson Brito
    <nelsonat_private> released a PERL script some time ago called
    signatures.pl that does just this -- I have the script but I misplaced
    'fingerprint.db', the scripts counterpart.

    Lance Spitzner wrote a paper describing techniques to perform passive
    fingerprinting which can be downloaded at:
    http://packetstorm.securify.com/papers/IDS/fingerprinting.txt

    Last but not least Jose Nazario has a similar documnet in pdf format which
    can be downloaded from:
    http://packetstorm.securify.com/papers/protocols/passive.pdf

    Hope this helps,

    -Blake