Re: Identifying Machines

From: Ryan Russell (ryanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 14:55:54 PDT

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Rick Who Else? wrote:

    > Let me clarify somewhat. Lets imagine a scenario, of being on a seperate
    > network of your target network. So sniffing traffic and MAC addresses don't
    > apply. And you wish to see how many machines on are a certain subnet. So you
    > wish to scan the entire range of a class C, lets say. ICMP is filtered out.
    > And some of the machines  may have no ports open. What I mean by that, as
    > someone asked, would be no services running on any port. Therefore there are
    > no banners.

    If you can't get any output from the machine at all, then you can't
    identify it.  It may be off, disconnected from the net, or non-existant
    for all you know.

    For the hypothetical situation to work, you have to have something... ICMP
    unreachable packets, it generates a reverse-DNS lookup when you hit it,
    something..

    						Ryan