RE: Sizing Pentest

From: stephenat_private
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 08:39:40 PDT

    I am a consultant and I bid all my projects as a single flat fee.  To do
    this, I need to estimate my costs up front.  I ask the client for three
    things:

    1. Number and size of externally-accessible networks targeted
    2. Number of externally-accessible servers hosted
    3. Description of system(s) being hosted

    To then estimate the cost of the pen test, I use this method:
    {
    [(# of servers) * (scan per server)] +
    [(# of 3rd party servers) * (scan per server)] +
    [(# of networks) * (scan per network)] +
    [(# of proximal routers) * (scan per router)] +
    [(# of systems) * (exploitation per system)]
    } * (reporting factor) = TOTAL PEN TEST LABOR

    Where:
    (# of servers) = # of IP Addresses of client's own servers
    (# of 3rd party servers) = # of externally-hosted web servers
    (scan per server) = approx 5-10 min. of port and vulnerability scan
    (# of networks) = # of class C networks to map
    (scan per network) = 10-15 min. of ping sweep & traceroute mapping
    (# of proximal routers) = # of routers hosted by client, or 1 hop away from
    ISP gateway
    (scan per router) = 2-4 min. of SNMP sweep, default password check, telnet
    banner check, etc.
    (# of systems) = # of major systems (email, ftp, http, E-commerce, etc.)
    hosted
    (exploitation per system) = 1-2 hrs. of attempted exploitation
    (reporting factor) = 300% or 2 hours of reporting for 1 hour of data
    collection

    I then multiply my labor estimate by $185 per hour (my billing rate) and
    then add cost of maintaining equipment and software,
    printing/binding/shipping reports, and any travel expenses for in-house
    presentation of my findings.

    Of course you will need to fine tune this to your Scope of Work, billing
    rate, and complexity of scanning & reporting, but I think that this is a
    good framework.

    Sincerely,

    Stephen C. Thompson,
    Piranha Team Network Security Engineer
    Fishnet Security
    1710 Walnut
    Kansas City, MO 64108
    Tel:	816-421-6611
    Fax:	816-421-6677
    Cell:	816-522-6369
    <http://www.fishnetsecurity.com>

    *	2000 & 2001 Top 10 Kansas City Small Business
    *	2000 Deloitte & Touche Fast 50 Rising Stars
    *	2000 & 1999 Check Point Fastest Central Region Revenue Growth Award
    *	2000 & 1999 CRN Top 25 Computer Executives
    *	1998 Check Point Excellence Award Winners

    "Some Companies have Network Security Divisions,
     FishNet is a Network Security integrator.
     Who should you trust with your Network Security?"

    The information transmitted in this e-mail is intended only for the
    addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
    interception, review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or
    taking of any action upon this information by persons or entities other than
    the intended recipient is prohibited by law and may subject them to criminal
    or civil liability. If you received this communication in error, please
    contact us immediately at 816.421.6611, and delete the communication from
    any computer or network system.