Re: snmp vulnerablities

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 10:08:17 PDT

    > As for comments on protecting SNMPv1
    with ACL's and obfuscated Community
    > Strings, that is laughable at best. A better
    solution is to run with SNMPv3
    > using AuthPriv functionality, seems like
    some of the popular management
    > systems don't yet support v3 capabilities.

    Well, I don't see why such a solution would be
    laughable.  From a business perspective, it
    doesn't necessarily make sense to keep
    heapinng layer after layer of 'stuff' on top of
    the protocol.

    Oddly enough, my post about treating SNMP
    in isolation was rejected by the moderators,
    who as yet have not responded to my queries
    regarding this issue.

    The issue as I see it is that folks are treating
    security mechanism in general (SNMP is not a
    security mechanism) in isolation.  Yes, an
    obfuscated community string in the UDP
    packets is laughable in the face of a simple
    sniffer.  However, it your infrastructure
    configuration allows for the undetected
    installation of a sniffer, then you have more
    things to be concerned with, other than
    simply the 'safety' of your community strings.
    If someone has a sniffer, why bother with
    things like community strings at all, when the
    admin passwords can be easily collected.

    Properly configuring and monitoring your
    entire infrastructure is what can allow things
    like SNMP and TFTP to run on the network.
    Network engineers too often say
    that "security breaks stuff"...and they are
    definitely correct, particularly when a
    security 'expert' doesn't keep the business
    objectives in mind.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/