Re: Generating Dropped Packets

From: Wolfgang Zenker (wolfgangat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 12:11:20 PDT

    Hi,

    Noonan, Wesley wrote:
    > [..] I am trying to generate traffic that will be
    > dropped out of hand by both switches and routers. The nature of the packet
    > (fragment, giant, etc.) isn't as important to me as the ability of the
    > switch/router to recognize that the packet needs to be dropped.
    > Products/tools that are Windows based are preferred, though Linux and/or
    > Solaris are acceptable as well [..]

    a packet that would be silently dropped by a router could be an
    ICMP "time exceeded" packet where the ttl count reaches 0.
    By setting the start value for ttl you decide after how many hops
    you want your packet to be dropped.  A tool to create these would
    be hping (on Unix/Linux, see http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/hping.html).

    To have your packet dropped by a switch would require some illegal
    values for your media to be set, e.g. an illegal frame size on ethernet.
    Don't know of a tool to create these, and i'm not sure if every network
    interface would actually be able to create such a frame.

    Wolfgang Zenker
    --
    Wolfgang Zenker                                  Mail: W.Zenkerat_private
    JPAVES Unix Online GmbH                          Fon:  (+49) 721 / 955 40 60

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/