RE: LDAP directory

From: BUGTRAQ (ivan.buetlerat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 22:56:29 PDT

    Hi,

    I my own opinion, pen-testing an ldap directory is mostly similar to audit a
    file-system. You have objects (classes) containing attributes and you have
    some objects you want to protect and others you will allow everyone to
    access. ldap security will be secure, if you set proper access permissions.
    If you just install ldap in it's default configuration, you might have some
    troubles.

    A major difference between the file-system issue and ldap is the distributed
    topic. You have replications and distributed responsibilities. But at the
    end, you need to do an administrative "BIND" by "cn=Manager" in order to
    change the ldap behaviour as you would need "Domain Admin Rights" to change
    the Windows file permissions.

    Potential threats are:

    - LDAP without SSL (for administration)
    - Anonymous BIND contains write permissions
    - Hacker tries to replicate by setting up his own LDAP server which he
    controls
    - Access to confidential data by an anonymous bind
    - Access to confidential data by an authenticated bind but bad file
    permissions
    - Access to the "MANAGER" locally (without LDAP) by console application

    I played around with "LDAPMiner", which does some basic LDAP tests for you.
    But at the end, I am using simple tools like "GQ" or openldap utilities
    "ldapsearch, ldapadd, etc" to do this tests.

    Regards

    Ivan