Weaknesses in the Key Scheduling Algorithm of RC4

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 13:25:33 PDT

    Weaknesses in the Key Scheduling Algorithm of RC4
    Scott Fluher, Itsik Mantin, and Adi Shamir

    In this paper we present several weaknesses in the key scheduling algorithm
    of RC4, and describe their cryptanalytic significance. We identify a large
    number of weak keys, in which knowledge of a small number of keys bits
    suffices to determine many state and output bits with non-negligible
    probability. We use these weak keys to construct new distinguishers for RC4,
    and to mount related key attacks with practical complexities. Finally, we
    show that RC4 is completely insecure n a common mode of operation which is
    used in the widely deployed Wired Equivalent Privacy protocol (WEP, which
    is part of the 802.11 standard), in which a fixed secret key is
    concatenated with known IV modifiers in order to encrypt different
    messages. Our new passive ciphertext-only attack on this mode can recover
    an arbitrarily long key in a negligible amount of time which grows only
    linearly with its size, both for 24 and 128 bit IV modifiers.

    http://www.eyetap.org/~rguerra/toronto2001/rc4_ksaproc.pdf

    --
    Elias Levy
    SecurityFocus.com

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/