Re: Ideas on netcat

From: Pawel Krawczyk (kravietzat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 03:34:59 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 06:29:31AM -0000, Vo0d0o wrote:

    > As far as I know, no site is giving some other uses of netcat pertaining to pen-testing ...other than the usual *README* file which I find too basic.
    > I would be grateful if anybody could throw some light on uses of netcat in pen-testing.

    What you mean by uses in pen-testing? Netcat is simple tool that is very
    useful in testing in the range of its functionality. That is, making or
    accepting TCP and UDP connections. Port scanning is more effectively
    done with nmap. If you're looking for other interesting netcat uses,
    this includes moving big files over the network and anything else that
    you can do with TCP/UDP. I've even used netcat for making regular backups,
    and for that purpose I've added an encryption support to netcat-1.10
    (http://ceti.pl/~kravietz/prog.html)

    --
    Paweł Krawczyk *** home: <http://ceti.pl/~kravietz/>
    security: <http://ipsec.pl/>  *** fidonet: 2:486/23

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/