RE: Security Audit

From: Filer, Eddie (ZA - Johannesburg) (efilerat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 00:14:30 PDT

    Hi

    My opinion is that a vulnerability assessment entails far more than a
    penetration test.
    A penetration test just looks to see if a system has a single weakness that
    can be exploited to compromise the system from internally and/or externally.

    A vulnerability assessment would entail a detailed analysis of the system,
    including, but not limited to a nessus scan. We would normally quote
    approximately 8 hours for an individual system and this would be scaled down
    for additional systems due to the ability to script scans etc.

    Our normal vulnerability assessment process would be:
    1. Research and Planning (Check latest vulnerabilities and exploits etc)
    2. Run tools (not just nessus)
    3. Verify findings of tools (eliminate false positives)
    4. Write detailed report indicating findings, impact and recommendations.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind Regards,

    Eddie Filer
    Senior Consultant

    Deloitte & Touche
    Enterprise Risk Services
    Information Security Services

    PLEASE NOTE:  This e-mail message and its attachments is subject to the
    disclaimers as published at: <http://www.deloitte.co.za/disc.htm#emaildisc>>