On Outside Security Audits

From: Martin, James E. (martinat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 11:16:31 PDT

    I've seen a couple of our downstream networks do this, and the reasons I've
    heard are as follows:

    A. We have no internal capability to do so ourselves (or if we do, we've
    spoken up about it so often we're seen as having an agenda), and
    B. We've had enough "learning experiences" with malware, default configs,
    intrusions and other excitement that we've managed to convince someone with
    a little money to fund a one-shot audit, and
    C. If we do this and raise awareness internally, maybe we can get a budget
    to do it, because management is more focused on deliverables than risks.

    There may be flaws in this logic, but it seems to work. I'm not claiming the
    outsider is always right or accurate - I've got an audit report on my desk
    at the moment forwarded by a customer who wanted a second opinion. There are
    good consultants and bad.

    In terms of bringing in outsiders to do an audit, we brought in a couple of
    CERT/CC members as outside consultants five years ago. Best investment we
    ever made...

    Your local mileage may vary!

    Jim Martin
    MOREnet