Re: Penetration Testing/Vulnerability Assessment

From: SecLists (listsat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:19:11 PDT

    I am in the process of writing Security Guidelines for the Solaris boxes
    in my organization and soon after will come guidelines for the other OS's
    we use... in my opinion it is almost essential to do a vulnerability
    assessment before the pen-test... otherwise how would you know what to
    attack?

    Also, in my humble opinion, the best security tools out there are open
    source and free... there are very few, if any, proprietary tools that are
    able to outperform the open source ones... in fact, all of the tools I use
    are open source and free... mostly because I feel comfortable with them
    but also because my organization is not too keen on spending big bucks on
    stuff like that...

    all in all, there is no replacement for being intimately familiar with
    what you are securing... no tool can provide what sheer knowledge will....

    thanks,
    shawn