Re: source routing

From: Naveed Anwar (naveedat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 10:08:23 PDT

    Daniel

    IP supports two types of source routing. The first type is loose
    source routing, in which the IP address of the next router can be one
    or more routers away (multiple hops).  The second type is strict
    source routing, in which the next router must be a neighboring router
    (single hop).

    A ping example is

    C:\>ping -j 169.182.224.3 169.186.129.102 ak47

    Pinging ak47.sa.com [169.182.227.245] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 169.182.227.245: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=123
        Route: 169.186.129.102 ->
               169.182.224.3
    Reply from 169.182.227.245: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=123
        Route: 169.186.129.90 ->
               169.182.224.3
    Reply from 169.182.227.245: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=123
        Route: 169.186.129.102 ->
               169.182.224.3
    Reply from 169.182.227.245: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=123
        Route: 169.186.129.90 ->
               169.182.224.3

    Hence in the above example we are telling packet to go first to
    169.182.224.3 and then 169.186.129.102 and then ak47 where ak47 is my
    host.

    If you want to play around with this in a proper way I suggest you
    use netcat, the below extract is taken from the netcat readme:

    Netcat provides several ways for you to test your own packet filters.
     If you bind to a port normally protected against outside access and
    make a connection to somewhere outside your own network, the return
    traffic will be coming to your chosen port from the "outside" and
    should be blocked.  TCP may get through if your filter passes all
    "ack syn", but it shouldn't be even doing that to low ports on your
    network.  Remember to test with UDP traffic as well!

    If your filter passes at least outbound source-routed IP packets,
    bouncing a connection back to yourself via some gateway outside your
    network will create "incoming" traffic with your source address,
    which should get dropped by a correctly configured anti-spoofing
    filter.

    This is a "non-test" if you're also dropping source-routing, but it's
    good to be able to test for that too.  Any packet filter worth its
    salt will be blocking source-routed packets in both directions, but
    you never know what interesting quirks you might turn up by playing
    around with source ports and addresses and watching the wires with a
    network monitor.

    The real dangers of source routing is when an attacker spoofs a
    source ip and re-directs traffic to him (or her) either directly to
    his machine or through one which he controls.