[Fwd: Re: Real connection spoofing (Firewall Tester)]

From: Burak DAYIOGLU (dayiogluat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 22:53:08 PDT

    Andrea Barisani wrote:
    > Client (ftest.pl) ---> Firewall ---> Sniffer (ftestd.pl)
    > 1 - The client (ftest.pl) send a Syn packet with a custom payload
    > (Question:  is inserting data in a Syn packet legal?)

    Data is allowed. If the receiving party supports T/TCP it may save
    the data to be used after 3Way-handshake. If the receiving party
    does not support T/TCP data will simply be discarded without any
    notification to the sender.

    > The problem is that between step 2 and step 3 the spoofed address will
    > send a valid RST back to the sniffer, the firewall will see it and we
    > can't proceed.

    I didn't understand this point. If the spoofed source address for the
    connection is on the sniffer side of the connection, you shouldn't
    expect a reply back unless the firewall is in bridging mode.

    cheers.
    --
    Burak DAYIOGLU
    Phone: +90 312 2103379   Fax: +90 312 2103333

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/