RE: Hacking demo - most spectacular techniques

From: Greg (gregat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 04:29:36 PDT

    > From: Ilici Ramirez [mailto:ilici_ramirezat_private]
    >
    > We intend to make a short demonstration of hacking as
    > part of a longer seminar with more than 100 IT
    > managers, vice-presindents, and other high-level
    > morons.

    Don't tell them that to their faces for starters.

    > 1. Remote VNC install - GUI session on target machine
    > 2. BO2K or Subseven
    > 3. Port redirection with fpipe - a firewall is not
    > always enough
    > 4. Remote shell with netcat
    > 5. Null session - information gathering with no right

    You should include an example of subversion of an HTTP server entirely
    through a web browser. This could be something like using the Unicode or
    maybe even the CGI-double decode problems in MS IIS. Execute some commands,
    copy some files from the HTTP server filesystem to the webroot and download
    them etc. It is important to demonstrate that in some cases you don't need
    any 'hacking' tools at all and not that much expertise. That can have a
    great deal of impact.

    regards

    Greg

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/