Re: Hacking demo - most spectacular techniques

From: quentynat_private
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 07:51:56 PDT

    Ilici Ramirez wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > We intend to make a short demonstration of hacking as
    > part of a longer seminar with more than 100 IT
    > managers, vice-presindents, and other high-level
    > morons. The goal is to explain how easy is to hack an
    > unsecured system or network.
    >
    > For them to understand and to realize how just only an
    > unsecured computer could lead to compromise of an
    > entire business we need to show some hacking examples
    > real spectacular.
    >
    > So I need your help to make a top short list. I will
    > insert here my humble opinion, but I expect more from
    > all of you experienced pen-testers.
    >
    > 1. Remote VNC install - GUI session on target machine
    > 2. BO2K or Subseven
    > 3. Port redirection with fpipe - a firewall is not
    > always enough
    > 4. Remote shell with netcat
    > 5. Null session - information gathering with no right
    >
    > Ilici R
    /

    what is the target OS? or OSes?

    from point 2 it looks like you want to hit M$ boxes but you could do a
    linux box

    ie do a bind or lpd for example exploit then insert a module like

    http://packetstormsecurity.org/linux/modules/krnhide.c  (not tried but
    there are a few that are similar)

    I seem to remember a module done by some one called optyx (I think.... I
    can't find a reference for that name on packetstorm) from wired news
    that emulated (I think) subseven or similar.

    you could so a compare and contrast for the ease of hacking default
    install win 2k and a default install linux box.

    or do a default install OpenBSD box and a default install Win2k box ;o)

    BTW I hope that none of the "other high-level morons" read or monitor
    this list, remember it is archived in loads of places

    --
    Quentyn Taylor

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/