Re: Clearing IIS logs

From: Shoten (shotenat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 11:40:32 PDT

    The problem with this method is that IIS will not continue the existing log
    file, but rather create a new one.

    > IIS keeps the log file open, so I don't know of a way to do it without
    > stopping IIS. The easiest way to acccomplish this is to create an AT job
    > that stops IIS, deletes the logs and then restarts IIS. The account that
    the
    > AT service runs as probably has permissions to do this. To cause even more
    > confusion for the admin, copy an old log and give it the same name as
    > todays' log. Some log types don't show the date in the individual entries,
    > but the admin may not notice either way.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/