Fw: DENY x REJECT

From: Mehmet Murat Gunsay (mgunsayat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 06:39:46 PDT

    > For what it is worth, Nmap always retries ports that do not respond.
    > It only marks them "filtered" after multiple probes fail to elicit any
    > response.  If lost packets are detected (for example if Nmap receives
    > a response to the second probe but not the first one), then the number
    > of retries is increased dramatically.  Thus it is unlikely that an
    > open port will be mislabeled "filtered" because of a few dropped
    > packets.

    To expand on this subject further, I'm running the following nmap command line

    nmap -P0 -sS -p 80 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    and I know that the port is open.  However I'm getting the following result:

    80/tcp     filtered    http
    Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 36 seconds

    How should I analyze this result??? Any feedback appreciated.

    Mehmet Murat Gunsay
    BTKOM A.S.
    http://www.btkom.com
    mgunsayat_private     muratat_private
    PGP Key ID: 0xDDE611E1

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/