RE: cracking cisco passwords

From: woody weaver (woodyat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 21:27:50 PDT

    On Monday, October 15, 2001 8:31 AM, Joshua Wright
    [mailto:Joshua.Wrightat_private] wrote:

    > Brute force with a dictionary attack would be your best option.  The
    > type 5 password is based on the MD5 hash algorithm.  You could create
    > a perl program with a CPAN module to calculate the hashes.

    One could.  However, I think "John the Ripper" is a better approach.

    Its available at the usual places, and provides an effective brute force
    engine.  Because the Cisco approach is based upon the BSD code, you can use
    the BSD password format -- feed john a file like

    jason:$1$6Je2$MurE4FTzoZjQShRW4Ui9H0::::::::

    But realize this is a hard task.  I get around 1400 crypts per second on
    this laptop -- so a conventional dictionary falls pretty quickly.  But if
    the site has a sound password creation policy, you are not going to succeed
    with a brute force approach without some serious parallelization.

    --woody

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/