IIS : access to cmd.exe and multiple commands on one line

From: Daniel Polombo (polombo@cartel-info.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 01:59:12 PDT

    Hello,

       as you all know, it's possible to exploit a number of IIS bugs to gain
    access to \winnt\system32\cmd.exe and execute arbitrary commands on the
    server. I've been trying to convince it to execute several commands on one
    line (as one would separate commands with a ';' under any decent shell), with
    limited success : on a number of NT/2k boxes, the syntax :

        command1 & command2  (eg, cd .. & dir)

    works fine. On some other boxes, though, it only returns 'The parameter is
    incorrect'.

    It is unclear to me whether this problem happens only because of the way the
    request is made (http://path/to/cmd.exe?/c+command1&command2), or if there are
    really different versions of cmd.exe.

    I would assume the former, but I fail to see why it would work on some boxes
    and not others, given the same commands and commands separator.

    I've tried unicode-encoding the '&', with simple and double encoding (%26 and
    %2526, respectively), but on the boxes which refuse plain '&', it doesn't work
    either.

    I'd like to get this to work in order to execute several commands on a remote
    box in the same context (as opposed to several different connections), w/o
    uploading anything to the box (yet :).

    Any ideas would be welcome.

    Regards,

       Daniel

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/