Re: Using Null Session information from NAT.EXE

From: Tom Fischer (Tom.Fischerat_private-stuttgart.de)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 16:42:23 PST

    Hi,

    On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:07:10AM +0000, Ian Lyte wrote:
    > [...]
    > The big question is, for me anyway, since NAT.EXE has succesfully found the
    > Admin password it is obviously managing to connect to the other box somehow
    > and get authenticated. How is it that NAT can and I can't? Is this due to
    > NAT using its own modified SMBCLIENT and if so where can I get a copy of the
    > SMBCLIENT only?
    what's about the different LAN Manager authentication level? Nat.exe
    use the cygwin.dll (http://www.cygwin.com/) and not the Windows own LAN
    Manager authentication.
    So have a look at the authentication level:

    Windows NT (Q147706):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\LMcompatibilityLevel
    (REG_DWORD)
    Level 0 - Send LM response and NTLM response; never use NTLMv2 session
    Level 1 - Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
    Level 2 - Send NTLM authenication only
    ... (default 0)

    Windows 2000 (see GroupPolicy: LAN Manager Authentication Level)

    Alternatively use a linux box and smbclient ... or cygwin or ...

    ciao, Tom
    --
    Tom Fischer                              Tom.Fischerat_private-stuttgart.de
    RUS-CERT University of Stuttgart       Tel:+49 711 685-8076 / -5898 (fax)

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/