Terminal Services Holes

From: Dan Richardson (dan.richardsonat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 17:51:51 PST

    Hi all,

    I've just been playing around with Terminal Server (in remote
    administration mode) to see if an Internet exposed Terminal Server is
    really as vulnerable as it appears. I was quite a little alarmed at the
    results; but knowing how good NT is at actually logging useful
    information on its own I wasn't shocked. if anyone has any information
    on how to better log (on the Win2k box itself), please let me know.

    On attempting to connect to the box with either a legitimate or bogus
    account, the terminal server would accept up to six password attempts
    before a forcible disconnection (which is logged in the System log along
    with the machine name and I assume IP address- I tested this from a
    machine which was on our LAN, but assume it makes little difference on
    the net).

    This is not as good as it could be, but at least it disconnected me and
    logged the attempt.

    If I attempted to login 5 times, bailed out of the connection and
    checked the logs- *nothing* is reported except in the security logs
    *but* it records the failed connection as being from IP address
    127.0.0.1 (ie. The local machine- why? because the login is a local
    one).

    I attempted to connect with 5 bad passwords, disconnect and reconnect
    immediately to try another 5 bad passwords- none of this is logged (with
    the exception of in the security log which is listed as
    pre-authentication failures from 127.0.0.1 ie. pointless) .

    What can I say, but roll-on TSGrinder (maybe I should just write my own
    :). MS certainly didn't think too hard about security on this one.

    -Dan

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/