fixed_date parameter in Oracle 8i

From: Pete Finnigan (peteat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 13:15:56 PST

    Hi All

    As a lot of people have been interested in what I have written in the
    recent past about Oracle security I thought I would share a recent issue
    I found on an Oracle security pentest / audit with everyone.

    An application we looked at used the oracle system date SYSDATE quite
    extensively in its functionality and calculations. It was possible to
    cause mis-calculations in the system by altering a system parameter.

    I have written a short paper describing this if anyone is interested.
    Its at http://www.pentest-limited.com/fixed-date.htm.

    regards,
    Pete Finnigan
    www.pentest-limited.com

    --
    Pete Finnigan
    IT Security Consultant

    Office  01565 830 990
    Fax     01565 830 889
    Mobile  07974 087 885

    pete.finnigan@pentest-limited.com

    www.pentest-limited.com

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/