Re: wanted: a script to try dictionary attacks against NOTES ID files

From: miguel.dilajat_private
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 02:39:13 PST

    Talking of the HTTP password attack, it's easy to get the hash because the
    NAB can be accessed remotely in MANY sites (bad administration), and the
    hashes are not salted in 95+% of the installations (bad administration).
    This way you can copy some hashes, but perhaps you don't have Notes to use
    the @password() function to attack them. If one can program a C (or Perl)
    code to attack, the attack can be done offline as well.
    My past investigation didn't uncover info about any tools (except sesame)
    to attack the hashing algorythm used, only that's RSA MD4, without salt by
    default.
    Also the dictionary attack against the hash using @password() wouldn't help
    with many a password, you'll need mangling rules like Crack5 or John The
    Ripper, or even pure bruteforce.
    Best regards,

    Miguel Dilaj

    jjoreat_private on 20/11/2001 19:05:58