RE: Sniffers, scanners and XP raw packet drivers

From: gwassonat_private
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 11:18:01 PST

    Here are the docs from the ethereal web page. I was able to make it work
    with XP Pro using the beta WinPCAP driver.

    G.

    If you are using Windows XP, read the next two paragraphs before proceeding
    any further!!!
    If you are using Windows XP, the current version of the WinPcap packet
    driver will NOT work; you will have to use the 2.3 beta version. As it is a
    beta version, it may have more bugs than the current version; please report
    those bugs to winpcap@netgroup-serv.polito.it, so that they can try to fix
    them for the final 2.3 release.

    The 2.3 beta download is available from the WinPcap download page; it
    appears after the 2.2 download. If you are using Windows XP, do not download
    and install WinPcap 2.2, as it will not work. If you want to be able to
    capture packets with Ethereal on Windows XP, you must download and install
    the 2.3 beta version; note that it's a beta version, so if you install it,
    the risk that you will encounter bugs is greater.