Re: Pen - Test technique: Shred diving

From: William Knowles (erehwonat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 04:17:11 PST

    Pre-shred bins are great, one that has worked a few times in small
    office buildings is getting the staff to use color coordinated garbage
    bags, a little memo from what looks to be from building management
    gets pretty fast compliance from the renters and makes the dumpster
    diving a little easier than raiding all the dark garbage bags at once.

    Cheers!

    William Knowles
    erehwonat_private

    On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, R. DuFresne wrote:

    > even better, saving lots of time the 'pre-shred' bins, those waste
    > disposal bins where whole sheets are dummped for later shredding,
    > seldom locked, and very exposed, especially at night, when staff
    > is low in count.

    > On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Mike Shaw wrote:
    >
    > > Don't know if this will pass list muster, but I just had a great time in a
    > > client company's shredder bin.
    > >
    > > This was a very inadequate shredder, very wide 'noodles' and no
    > > cross-shredding.  I've always disregarded the shredder bin because I
    > > thought it'd be too much trouble, but this is definitely not the case.
    > >
    > > I was able to reconstruct a page of text in about 20 minutes.  This
    > > particular page was not very useful, but it proved the point.

    *====================================================================*
    "Communications are the nervous system of the entire SAC organization,
    and their protection is therefore, of the greatest importance. I like
    to say that without communications, all I control is my desk, and that
    is not a very lethal weapon."      ---      General T.S. Power U.S.A.F
    erehwonat_private     PGP Key on request     http://www.c4i.org/erehwon/

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/