Re: Medium Scale Scanning Best Practices

From: Renaud Deraison (deraisonat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 15:19:01 PST

    On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:16:07AM -0500, swlodinat_private wrote:

    [...]
    > I'm looking for advice into best practices for periodic scanning of a network
    > on a medium scale.  Here are my definitions:
    > ** Taken from Hacking Exposed by the Foundstone guys
    >
    > I have a global network of many /16 through /26 networks.  I'd like to develop
    > an inventory of, primarily, machine/OS/Services.  I'd prefer to have this relatively
    > up-to-date, but not manually performed.  Ultimately, I'd like to have a resource
    > that could help me identify vulnerable devices given the discovery of a new
    > vulnerability rather than having to scan the entire network each time.
    >
    > For example, the next IIS vulnerability hits.  I'd like to have a quick answer
    > to the question, "what devices are vulnerable".  It doesn't matter if the answer
    > is the result of "list all Windows OS devices with port 80 or 443 open".
    >
    > What are the best practices in this area?  I have a cobbled-together solution
    > using nmap that I'm ready to test, but if there is a better low-cost solution
    > I am interested.  I've seen ndiff (nmap diff), but I'm not sure that it would
    > be easy
    > to modify that to suit my requirements.  How are you dealing with
    > this situation?

    What you want is to use Nessus 1.0.10 with the experimental features on,
    or Nessus 1.1.x.
    When you set up a scan, activate the "save knowledge base" option, and
    scan your networks. The good thing about this is that as Nessus
    knowledge bases store "facts" about the remote hosts, you can
    interrogate them after a scan.

    When the next vulnerability hits, you can easily grep through the files
    in the knowledge base to query for some facts.

    You want the list of IIS servers listening on port 80 :

    # cd /usr/local/var/nessus/users/<yourlogin>/kbs
    # egrep -l "www/banner/80=.*IIS.*" *
    10.163.156.9
    10.163.156.12
    #

    You want to get the list of Solaris hosts with tcp port 515 open :
    # egrep -l "Ports/tcp/515" `egrep -l "Host/OS=Solaris" *`
    10.163.156.10
    #

    As the KBs are stored in individual files, you may prefer to use
    ReiserFS if you plan to scan a big network, rather than ext[23],
    and you may want to write cleaner queries, but you get the idea.

    				-- Renaud

    --
    Renaud Deraison
    The Nessus Project

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/