Re: testing for IP address space leakage in NAT systems

From: R P G (inittabat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 11:31:13 PST

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Vladimir Parkhaev wrote:

    > Quoting R P G (inittabat_private):
    > > I was wondering if anyone knows of a method to test a NAT system for
    > > address space leakage.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > --Bob
    > >

    > I would recommend to go up to the application layer.
    > You will be surprised how much headers of a bounced
    > email message will tell you.

    Yes, very true.  I don't know of any NAT system that'll keep application
    level info sanitized.  What I am most concerned about is how well a NAT
    system does at keeping RFC1918 IP info from leaking at the network level.
    Often times servers are running in private address space and their
    services are redirected through a NAT.  On many occasions my firewall has
    caught instances of leakage from these types of NATed systems.  The only
    way I can think of detecting this is to setup a tcpdump session on the
    outside, very close to the NAT, looking for leaking RFC1918 IP's.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/