Re: Questions on GSM Penetration test

From: Tom Buelens (emailat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 14:47:21 PST

    Dear mr. Ricci,

    There are companies that offer tools and equipement to violate privacy on
    GSM networks.
    I am sure that if you are 'testing' a good network they (the operator) are
    aware that GSM is not an flawless concept. However they will also know the
    countermesure of each type of attack, if such exists.
    I do not have the impression that you are lawfully testing such a network.
    Therefor I will not aid you with company names but with types of attack I
    know.

    1. You can overpower a basestation with your fake basestation.
    FLAW: The sim / GSM has to authenticate to the network. The network does not
    have to prove it's authenticety. Secondly the GSM will allways use the
    strongest signal.
    2. You can copy a sim card.
    There are ways to get too the important numbers and reprogram them.
    3. You can eavesdrop comunications between basestations.
    It's a focused beam of information but over a distance of km's the beam will
    spread a little.

    Hope I've set you on your way.
    Good luck.

    I am not here to judge who is to use lawfull interception tools and who is
    not. I would like to get rid of mistakes.

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I would like to know if there is any company offering penetration test
    > services onto GSM network not the IP network. How to perform that type of
    > test? Which company can offer that service?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ricci

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/